It’s a fact: Every year, we’re spending more and more time looking at our phones.
Estimates indicate that on average Americans spend anywhere from three to five hours on their smartphones every day. That’s an astoundingly high number — and the perfect excuse for a little perspective.
There’s an extraordinary world buzzing all around us, and we miss so much of it staring endlessly at our tiny screens. You say your busy life won’t let you escape to some of our planet’s most remarkable places? Not to worry. You can bring those places back home to your phone.
Here are 31 marvelous world wonders we think would look perfect as your lock screen.
1. Iceland’s northern lights are a stunning sight, in person or online.
2. Find peace in this photo of a storm-swept lighthouse.
3. The arch at Palau’s Rock Islands is beautiful above water and below.
4. Milford Sound on New Zealand’s South Island is an Instagram filter-lover’s dream.
5. A huge statue of the Hindu god Lord Murugan greets visitors to the Batu Caves in Malaysia.
6. Watch sunlight break over the peaks in the Himalayas.
7. About 45 million gallons of water rush over North America’s largest waterfall, Niagara Falls, every minute.
8. This ginormous “Christ the Redeemer” statue watches over Rio de Janeiro’s six million residents.
9. Live vicariously through these thrill-seeking spelunkers.
10. Looking at Haystack Rock near Cannon Beach, Oregon, might inspire you to head to your nearest beach.
11. Soothe your muggle heart with this image of the IRL Hogwarts Express chugging across Scotland.
12. These towering redwoods are some of the largest trees in North America.
13. This tiny sandbar in the Pacific didn’t think it’d end up a helicopter perch. But sometimes life — and conspicuous wealth — finds a way.
14. Mossy green wonderlands — like this one near Oregon’s Punch Bowl Falls — are unique to the temperate rainforests of the Pacific Northwest.
15. Follow the stepping stones of Northern Ireland’s Giant’s Causeway straight into the North Atlantic.
16. Decades of pounding surf carved a perfect alcove in the rocks at Lands End in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.
17. Mother Nature really shows off her sculpting skills in Utah’s Paria Canyon.
18. The Matterhorn is more than a ride I got stuck on for 45 minutes at Disneyland. It’s a breath-catchingly stunning peak in the Alps.
19. The Grand Canyon is so incredible, it really deserves a better adjective. “Astoundageous” maybe?
20. The narrow, rocky green peaks of the Wulingywan scenic area in China’s Hunan province are both a Unesco World Heritage site, and the inspiration for Pandora, the world in “Avatar.”
21. Creeping tree roots reclaiming this temple in Angkor, Cambodia, are a reminder that, eventually, no matter how hard we work, nature always wins.
22. Find your most flattering light in Arizona’s Antelope Canyon.
23. The Colorado River’s Horseshoe Bend in Arizona will keep you coming around for more.
24. This Norwegian waterfall is stunning and proud, naturally.
25. This icy blue Icelandic cave is guaranteed free of abominable snowmen.
26. Gold dunes and golden skies are everywhere in Morocco’s eastern desert.
27. This solitary tree in New Zealand’s Lake Wanaka isn’t content to live on land.
28. This secluded beach at Knysna Heads in South Africa’s Western Cape Province is #goals.
29. Baobab trees beat the thirst by storing water away in their thick trunks. Just like your phone’s text message archive.
30. Nobody knows for sure where the Sphinx’s nose is, but she’s a towering beauty nonetheless.
31. Find peace — however you define it — in the stark cold beauty of the Himalayan mountains.
Did we miss your favorite spot in our wallpaper roundup? Let us know!